Gayle Hammond: firstname.lastname@example.org tel 216 4348
Geoff Thompson: email@example.com tel 218 3683
The group started off initially focusing only on the Zero Rubbish project. It has now evolved to also include projects around planting that will beautify the South Invercargill area to increase a sense of pride and identification.
What have we done?
- Planted hundreds of bulbs and plants in our Community Park and Pop up Gardens.
- Plants and bulbs have been donated by the community
- A major initial clean up of the South city shopping area including the vacant land behind the Mall, now our Community Park.
- Contributed people to many working bees to build parts of the Community Park
- Operation Zero Rubbish Project, which has achieved the adoption of the majority of streets in South Invercargill.
- Organised workshops on hanging baskets, plant propagation, composting and making Bug Hotels
- Planted and maintained Hanging Baskets on Elles Road as well as supplied and installed an automatic watering system.
- Installed water system and bird bath in Community Garden
- Established a Plant Bank - offering plants for a koha, with the plants grown in South Invercargill. Funds from this go towards our community projects.
- Created Pop-up flower Gardens along the fences of the community park, as well as a Raspberry orchard
- Spent many voluntary hours working on our projects, making new friends and building community bonds.
- Promote the adoption of streets on the Zero Rubbish database
- Along with other South Alive teams, promote the Spring Flower Show featuring produce from beautiful 9812 gardens, creating pride and inspiration to others.
- Continue to attract birds, bees and butterflies to the Community Garden with attractive plantings
- Plant 100’s of bulbs this autumn
- Replant the South Alive Community Vegetable Gardens seasonally.
- Install automatic watering system.
Current volunteer opportunities for the Beautification team
Join our Action Team
Attend meetings to discuss and make decisions on the projects, assess any new project ideas., approx. 1x monthly. Meetings usually 1-2 hrs, on a Saturday at 10am.
Adopt a pop-up flower garden, approx. 30 mins every fortnight
Zero Rubbish Volunteer, adopt a Street and collect Rubbish Help with project management